So I bought a 79 CJ-7 with a new uninstalled fiberglass body

So I bought a 79 CJ-7 with a new uninstalled fiberglass body
Rescue, good job on your project, it looks great..I notice you have paddle style half doors in the pic...Did you mount the striker pin, if so how and do you have any pics...I have a 4wd fiberglass tub also, I have full doors and half doors that I want to mount. I bought the kit form 4wd, but it doesnt come with directions!!

Rescue, good job on your project, it looks great..I notice you have paddle style half doors in the pic...Did you mount the striker pin, if so how and do you have any pics...I have a 4wd fiberglass tub also, I have full doors and half doors that I want to mount. I bought the kit form 4wd, but it doesnt come with directions!!

I'm just using bestop latches. They're just a black metal wedge that attaches with two screws.

It's come a little ways since those pics. The body mounts are all done, it's been lifted 4" and the motor is just about complete, belts, intake, exhaust, power steering pump, alternator, starter etc. I plan to start it this weekend to hear the new motor run for a few minutes. I'm not installing the whole wiring harness yet. I'm just hooking power up to the starter solonoid and the distributor, and I'll be running a hose from the fuel pump to a gas can. I'll be pulling the body back off and painting it before I put the rest together. It won't be long, but I've had lots of other things going on that's delayed getting it finished. I picked up some nice used aluminum wheels but I still need to polish them.

Last edited:
It looks and sounds like you are doing it right....You should still be enjoying yours in 20yrs also!!

***Update***

I filled the float bowl with gas, ran a hose from the fuel pump to a gas can since I haven't installed the tank and run the fuel lines yet. I hooked up power to the solonoid and distributor and fired up the new AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that I built. It sounds great! The radiator that came with the jeep on the other hand was a total piece of Shiet. It was leaking from at least a half dozen places, including cracks in the tanks. I found someone on the local KC Jeep Forum with a good radiator he was willing to sell, so that's off the to do list. Pretty much all that's left is to take it back apart, paint it, put it all back together, buy some tires, and drive it! :D

The tub, dash and windshield frame are painted. It won't be long now!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom