T-18 Questions

T-18 Questions
It’s IO”s opinion time again;
The T-18 is a wonderful thing; it is a one ton truck Transmission that drops the 1st gear to an insane level. It is strong enough to pull a loaded box car. Some may even call it an over kill but as I always say “nothing exceeds like excess”. I know I want one in my CJ and I do own one. My T-18 is setting comfortably in my barn doing an excellent job of being dirty, greasy and most of all heavy. Damn that thing is heavy!! Keep this in mind when you go to pick one up and/or take one out of your truck, you are going to need help. You may even want to think about the added weight to your rig, you are talking about the weight of a passenger over the T-150 or T-176 . If your prime recreation is mud and bog it could make a real difference. I have always, personally, preferred a 3 speed in the mud because you can rock front to back faster. Going from 1st to reverse takes a whole lot longer with a 4 speed. This makes it kind of hard to build any momentum.
I paid $350 for a Jeep T-18 close ratio with a Dana 20 TC from a 76 CJ5 . The close ratio may not be the Holy Grail but it is still 2X lower than the T-150 and I never really had that many complaints with it. I may be mistaken on this but I think the 1st gear ratio of the T-150 is the same as the 2nd gear ratio of the T-18 .

IMHO
:cool:

I checked my receipts from last year when I swapped the T-15 for a T-18 in my '81 CJ5 . I got the T-18 with adapter and Dana 20 Transfer Case for $275 on Ebay. It was a Jeep T-18 that came out of a '76 J20 pickup truck. I was able to use the original Bellhousing on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with a slight modification for the clutch fork. I had to install a short shaft kit, and a new clutch assembly since the shaft was too long and the input shaft had a different spline count than the original. The short shaft kit and clutch assembly was $398.57 at Parts Mike. They have a website also and Mike has first hand knowledge of how this all goes in and I was able to get great help from him during the install. He also has a website, partsmike.com. The modifications to the drive shafts, front and rear, cost $125 and miscellaneous bolts and welding cost another $100. That was a grand total of $898. The Transmission is bulletproof and the climbing ability is night and day over the old 3 speed. No synchro in first or reverse but since I start in second around town and usually come to a stop before shifting into reverse, that has never been a problem. With a little patience, you will find a great deal out there, especially in these times. If you make the switch, you will never look back or question your decision.

Tommy

I don't have any experience with the close ratio T-18 , but I'm pretty sure you'll find the T-176 has less of a truck feel to it than the T-18 , and to get that, you'll sacrifice a whole lot of strength. I have a wide ratio T-18 and 354 gears with 33" tires. I actually use 1st gear on the street to start out in when on hills. The thing is, without 1st being syncronized, you have to be carefull not to grind the gears when shifting to second. I wish I had 4.11 gears so starting out in second all the time wouldn't require slipping the heck out of the clutch.

A.)I don't understand having a problem grinding 2nd gear, because 2nd grear is synchronized.

B.)As far as reverse, most transmissions do not have a synchronized reverse.

C.) The T-19 & T-19a are basically the same Transmission as the T-18 & T-18a except for the addition of a full syncro 1st gear & a slightly different reverse setup. I will have to say the benefit of a syncro 1st. gear is Limited by the ratio. To wit a 6.32 low Vs. 4.0, on the 6.32low you have to be at a crawl to shift anyway so it just keeps you from being able to shift until a slow enough speed is reached.;)

I guess I just got lucky. I found a guy parting a 79 CJ5 that only knew it had the factory 4 speed. I knew what it had to be so I made an offer of $200 over the phone. A 2 hour round trip drive later I had an original CJ T-18 that was a direct bolt in replacement for the T-150 that came with my pile O' parts. It already had the right input shaft length and splines. Other than the drive shafts, nothing else needed modified. :D

A.)I don't understand having a problem grinding 2nd gear, because 2nd grear is synchronized.

When quickly shifting from unsynchronized first gear into second while under way, you can easily grind the gears. I have to take my time shifting, and make sure the clutch is completely disengaged or I hear that sound that makes my skin crawl! :eek:

Update

FINALLY have my T-18 ordered and on the way.

I first received a quote from novak but for some reason the salesman i was working with just wanted to ignore me (must have been busier with people spending more money?) and when he would finally respond he wouldn't even address my questions. so after a month of dicking around with that guy I decided to take my money elsewhere.

In comes Advance Adapters. Ford style re-built T-18 with adapter and everything to install it now on its way.

The cj has been sitting for about 2 months now. after pulling out the SR4 to replace the clutch i just couldnt bring myself to put that sorry POS back in. its not fair to me or the jeep.

i will probably start a separate thread to showcase some work i will be doing. I finally have some cash to throw at this beast and once the Transmission is in i will be taking it up for an estimate to have the entire thing painted, frame, exterior, interior, all properly...no rattle can job!

Nice Stoney!!:notworthy:

Cant wait to see the pics! Please take pleanty of before and after!

:chug:

Jr

Re: Update

FINALLY have my T-18 ordered and on the way.

I first received a quote from novak but for some reason the salesman i was working with just wanted to ignore me (must have been busier with people spending more money?) and when he would finally respond he wouldn't even address my questions. so after a month of pinkieing around with that guy I decided to take my money elsewhere.

In comes Advance Adapters. Ford style re-built T-18 with adapter and everything to install it now on its way.

The cj has been sitting for about 2 months now. after pulling out the SR4 to replace the clutch i just couldnt bring myself to put that sorry POS back in. its not fair to me or the jeep.

i will probably start a separate thread to showcase some work i will be doing. I finally have some cash to throw at this beast and once the Transmission is in i will be taking it up for an estimate to have the entire thing painted, frame, exterior, interior, all properly...no rattle can job!
Good for you Stoney... AA makes good stuff. I hope you took advantage of our 10% discount!

Awe dangit! Yeah id call em too Stoney... Give it a shot anyways...

welli called and asked about the discount....he said he cant do anything about the Transmission price cause they make only $50 on it. he said on 2 or 3 of the other parts i ordered he had already gave me a discount...but by the numbers he rattled off my quick math only added up to about a $50 - 60 discount. my order total was 1900. so thats not 10%. but, ill have to wait and see the order form with the break down, maybe he mentioned a discount somewhere i didnt hear. oh well, a bigger discount is always welcome, especially in these times but im just happy i finally have this stuff ordered and im not just sitting around dreaming (about the Transmission at least).

Also when your looking for the T-18 make sure it has the A on the end of it T-18A this is the one with the extra low gears. Great for offroading!!! Good luck.

Matt your post was a life saver.........after reading your post i realized that i never read anywhere on advances site about gear ratios...

i called up to jim my salesman first thing this morning and asked if the T-18 i ordered had the 6.32....he paused a moment and said no its 4. somthin...and then said if i wanted the 6.32 1st i would have to order a t-19! i told him this directly contradicted all other information on T-18 / t - 19s out there. he called back and told me that the 6.32 1st is or was an option and he will get with his tranny builder to see if they can do that for me.

i said "i hope so cause 4 . something is no good to me".

good thing i called when i did...he said they were getting ready to ship it out today!

man i hope they can make a 6.32...and i hope they dont want to charge me for it.

we shall see!

My order has been canceled.

Just so everyone knows for future reference, Advance Adapters DOES NOT offer a T-18 with the 6.32 first gear. They ONLY offer it with a 4. something....bummer to find out this way.

Did they let u cancel it?:confused:

Rufuse the shipment when delivering, then file for false advertizment is only option for full refund if not... But it will take time and pantients... As well as some possible stretching of the truth...

oh it was no hassle canceling. it hadnt been shipped yet.

they dont actually say anywhere on the site what the gear ratios are. it would be nice for clarification. almost cost me some major coin! live and learn.

Are all ford t18s 6.32 first? cause i had thought they were according to everything i have read so far. and also, i thought the t-19 was the 4. something first? at advance he said his sheet indicates the t-19 as the 6.32. which just confused me.

Are all ford t18s 6.32 first? cause i had thought they were according to everything i have read so far. and also,
Yes, most if not all Ford T-18 's have a 6.32 first.
Jeepers always want the T-18 because of the granny low. I agree, if they are going to sell the T-18 to Jeepers, they need to clarify that you wont be getting granny low.
That delay sucks. I hope you find a granny low T-18 .
Good luck.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom