Vacuum-Emissions???

Vacuum-Emissions???
The hoses that you have hooked up are enough for it to run correctly :chug: The hose on the back of the valve cover does not need to be hooked up you can replace it with a crome breaher from the auto parts store This arrangment will not get you buy a visual smog inspection so beware of that......You say that you have to keep your foot on the gas slightly to get it to idle....Sounds like you need to adjust the idle screw on the side of the carb to increase your idle speed so it will run on its own...if you look at your throttle shaft on the side of the carb there is a screw with a spring wraped around it. It works like an adjustable stop screw when you tighten the screw up it will increase the idle speed of the motor. Provided that you dont have a vacuam leak that should make it run fine :chug:
x2 on that also.I'm not much of a carb expert but there's plenty here that are

Also your cannister will be located below the brake booster down on the drivers side fender well.Its round and plastic with 4 ports for hoses on it.About the size of a quart Mayo jar

Great pictures... Thank you so much. I'm going to print them out and take them home to compare with my Jeep. I did see the egr and the CTO. When I get home, I'll see what I have. The red hose??? Am I suppose to have a hose hooked up in that same location? I'm not sure I do????

Gert, on the earlier post, you stated that I needed the large hose on the valve cover connected to the air cleaner and smaller hose attached to the base of the carb to help with blow-by. Your recent post you suggested that I just remove the hose on the back of the valve cover and replace it with a breather. Do I not have to worry about the blow-by you mentioned before? Thank you for the advice on how to adjust the carb. I know I have a major vacuum leak, because I can hear it sucking bad when I accelerate. I need to fix the vacuum leak before fooling with the carb, correct??

Do you see that chrome breather cap on the back of my valve cover?Thats all you need and a gromlet to make it fit.Tell the parts store you need a breather cap.The gromlet might still be in your valve cover.If not you'll have to get one that fits.Measure the opening on the valve cover get that then a breather cap to fit the gromlet you got or have.A good parts guy will know what your talking about.Gromlet is a rubber dounut you might say with a groove cut in the outer diameter.You should have one on your PCV valve take a look at that.The blow by will be controlled by the breather cap.
The red hose is a water hose to the intake manifold.There's one on the back of the intake also.They used it to heat up the intake and it had some things to do with emmission control.The water flowing thru the intake heated up the CTO valve to allow vacumn control amd also preheated the fuel delivery.Some people don't use it anymore.Sounds like your engine pretty well got striped of everything.

Also the vacumn leak you hear could be air gushing into the carb throat.Makes a pretty good sound especially if the air cleaner is off.

Last edited:
Yes, that's a big 10-4 on the breather cap and gromlet. That's a simple fix, I'm glad to hear. I had my air cleaner on when I had the Jeep running, but it did sound like it was being pulled in thru the carb. Pretty good air gush. My air cleaner is like the one on your Jeep, only a great deal smaller. Could the air cleaner be the problem. The carb is the original (I think). It's the Carter carb that came on the Jeep. Also, Jeep is smoking out the tailpipe when I accelarate (good bit of smoke). Will the vacuum leak have anything to do with this?

Those style of air cleaners are pretty loud as far as air intake so it could be your carb sucking in air.Carb cleaner will tell thou if you got a leak
Smoke could be a rich mixture of unburned gas or your cleaning the cobwebs out of it.It has probably sat long enough it needs to be drove to clean it out.What color was the smoke.If your not taking care of the blow by thru the PCV valve it'll smoke.When a engine runs it builds up internal pressure due to the pistons turning in the engine etc.The pressure is relieved thru the PCV valve and back into the intake via hose to carb.Breather cap in the back takes care of the rest of the blow by.When the valves open in the engine the piston draws in air thru the carb.Air rushing thru the carb creates a vacumn at the base of the carb.So all the air going into the engine has to come back out.Your PCV valve acts like a check valve.Air can only go thru one way.If you take the pcv valve out you can shake it and it should rattle with the little ball in there.You can blow on one end of it and air will come thru the end of it. The other end you shouldn't be able to blow thru it.If you can replace it.I doubt the vacumn has anything to do with the smoke.The pics you take will help a lot.Then we will be able to see what your up against.I think right now your fighting carb problems especially if its a Carter but its repairable.Alot of members run them.

Last edited:
Thank you again for all your help today. You have really educated me on what to do and what to look for. Auto Parts Store did not have a PCV valve, so I have not replaced it. I'm suppose to pick one up today, if it came in. I think the smoke was black or bluish/black. It was really hard to tell. I will send pics of the motor later this afternoon. I'm sure the pics will tell you a great deal more than what I can explain. Again, this website is wondeful. You have been so much help to me.

The smoke is probably a little oil ,carbon and just plain junk.Getting it running and cleared out will tell.There's a lot off knowledgeable people on this site.And a few orny ones also.Between everybody it'll get back on the road again and you can go wheeling and shooting.Will be waiting for the pics to see what you got under the hood
Mike

One more thing everyone here likes a product called Seafoam.Its a gasoline additive.It might help clean out your carb,Should be at your parts house

Thank you Mike. Wow, I'm actually familiar with Seaform and I have used it. I'm very glad to hear that it really is a good product to use. There so much out on the market these days, it's difficult to know what's the best. One more quick question,

I accidentally hit the send button. My one more quick question is, the new spark plug wires I put on are 7MM. I told the guy at the Auto Parts Store what I was doing and that I wanted good spark plugs and spark plug wires. He sold me 7MM wires (can't remember the brand just now) and E3 spark plugs. Your thoughts????

To tell you the truth I just bought them for my truck and haven't put them in yet and some msd wires.There are good reviews on this site thou.Search e3 spark plugs in the search bar here.I have to go to my grandsons ball game be looking forward to your pics later on tonite.You'll get lot of answers on them from everyone.
Mike

I know this is coming kind of late. I hope your grandson won his ballgame. I played sports myself. Actually went to college on a volleyball scholarship and LOVED it. I took the pictures but I'm having trouble with my laptop recognizing the camera. It will probably be tomorrow before I can load them on the website. Have a good night.

Good morning. I finally got my pictures of the engine bay area downloaded. They are posted in Member's Gallery under RanchGirl, if I loaded them correctly. I'm still learning about the features of this website and how to use them. When looking at the pictures, you'll notice I added some text to some of them with questions about what I'm looking at and in some cases, what to do with stuff that looks like it has been disconnected or does not serve a purpose. Any advice you guys and gals can offer up to help this new Jeeper with very Limited auto mechanical experience, will be GREATLY appreciated.

those are great pictures, you can actually see something i them.
what is Bamas stand on smog systems?? It looks like you have most of the parts for the smog systems although in pretty sad shape.
the wire you high lite could be for the electric choke, you just have to do a voltage check to ground to see if it works. It is controlled by the coolant temp switch so it should be a variable voltage. :cool:

Good morning. I finally got my pictures of the engine bay area downloaded. They are posted in Member's Gallery under RanchGirl, if I loaded them correctly. I'm still learning about the features of this website and how to use them. When looking at the pictures, you'll notice I added some text to some of them with questions about what I'm looking at and in some cases, what to do with stuff that looks like it has been disconnected or does not serve a purpose. Any advice you guys and gals can offer up to help this new Jeeper with very Limited auto mechanical experience, will be GREATLY appreciated.

those are great pictures, you can actually see something i them.
what is Bamas stand on smog systems?? It looks like you have most of the parts for the smog systems although in pretty sad shape.
the wire you high lite could be for the electric choke, you just have to do a voltage check to ground to see if it works. It is controlled by the coolant temp switch so it should be a variable voltage. :cool:
Thanks IO. It was sprinkling rain when I took the pics, so I was worried a little about the quality. You can actually see some of the rain drops in the pics. As far as smog systems here, we do not go through any emissions testing so I don't think I have to worry about that stuff, not right now anyway. I don't think I want to do away with this stuff, because I may need it in the future. I would like to know how to probably isolate the things not needed and clean up the bay area. Your comment about the electric choke. If this wire is not hooked up, does that mean the choke is not working? Also, you really lost me with the variable voltage and I'm not sure I even know where the coolant temp switch is or what it looks like? My skills and knowledge are pretty Limited especially around the electrical things, so help is needed. I'm definitely a "fish out of water" with knowledge needed to restore my Jeep, but I'm having fun and with the help of this forum, my learning curve is headed straight up.

Great Pics Girl.
See if you can take one looking down at the fan blade and fanbelts.I wanted to see if you had a air pump on it.The[ whats this pic] is a smog item connected with the air pump and exhaust system.You can get rid of them.That tube should go the length of the engine with smaller tubes coming off of it to the exhaust manifold.If you take one of the bolts out of the exhaust manifold where the tubes bolt to it.You'll see a bolt with a hole in it.When I did mine I took the whole tube assembly off the exhaust manifold and put a copper washer back on the bolt and put it back in the exhaust manifold.So basically your just taking that tube off reusing your bolts that held the tube to the manifold.Use some anti seize on the bolts.I can't remember if the bolts were a standard thread or not.Save the tube for future.You maybe able to sell it.They sure don't make them anymore.
Don't forget to turn your fuel filter the right way.Like a shotgun remember.It looks like you already have a breather cap on the valve cover in the back.
I'll look at the other pics too
Mike:chug:

Great Pics Girl.
See if you can take one looking down at the fan blade and fanbelts.I wanted to see if you had a air pump on it.The[ whats this pic] is a smog item connected with the air pump and exhaust system.You can get rid of them.That tube should go the length of the engine with smaller tubes coming off of it to the exhaust manifold.If you take one of the bolts out of the exhaust manifold where the tubes bolt to it.You'll see a bolt with a hole in it.When I did mine I took the whole tube assembly off the exhaust manifold and put a copper washer back on the bolt and put it back in the exhaust manifold.So basically your just taking that tube off reusing your bolts that held the tube to the manifold.Use some anti seize on the bolts.I can't remember if the bolts were a standard thread or not.Save the tube for future.You maybe able to sell it.They sure don't make them anymore.
Don't forget to turn your fuel filter the right way.Like a shotgun remember.It looks like you already have a breather cap on the valve cover in the back.
I'll look at the other pics too
Mike:chug:
I'll take the additonal pics this afternoon when I get home around the fan blades and belts. The fuel filter? I'm not sure I understand or maybe the pics are misleading. I have it turned so the little vent line is on top and the gas outlet is on bottom. Is this correct or should it be turned so both outlet lines are just parallel to each other, if that makes sense. Thanks to the advice I received yesterday, I stopped on my way home and picked up the breather cap and put it on last night before I took the pics. I'm sure I may have more questions about the tube thing after I get home and look at it. Thanks for the info and keep the advice coming. You guys are saving me a ton of money that I would have to pay a mechanic. Besides the $$$ savings, I take a great deal of pride in being able to do things myself. With the help of this forum, I hope to be able to complete all work my Jeep needs, and the knowlege I'm acquiring is just wonderful. Maybe one day I'll be able to help someone else.

Can you take a few pics of your engine bay.That way we'll all be able to look at it here.Were kinda like you lost without pics.Men are always lost without pics LOL
Then with the pics the members will be able to give you better advice.Get some close ups and overall pics from different angles.I'll post my engine pics in my member gallery.Just open my profile to see them.
It sounds like you have the basic needs for running.Like IO said your CTO and EGR valve will be helpful.You do have a hose running to your vacumn booster on your brakes don't you
Mike
Yesterday you ask something about a vacuum hose on the booster. I don't think I got a very good picture of it, but I did see a hose connected to the brake booster. What is the purpose of this hose?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom