CJ spotted thread

CJ spotted thread
Austin Bluffs and N Academy, the Springs

Attachments

• 20170501_133529.jpg
    20170501_133529.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 103
Smith transmission shop. Deridder LA.
The left one is a restored Ford actually. Even has ford stamped in the tailgate! And almost every bolt head has a F on it.

Attachments

• IMG-20170405-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20170405-WA0006.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 50
The left one is a restored Ford actually. Even has ford stamped in the tailgate! And almost every bolt head has a F on it.

Nice. What is on the grille?

To be honest I'm not sure? It was just a can mounted to the grille. Like Mayne some sort of a storage can...? I took this one a few days ago and now I notice it doesn't have in on there.

Attachments

• IMG-20170502-WA0091.jpg
    IMG-20170502-WA0091.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 79
To be honest I'm not sure? It was just a can mounted to the grille. Like Mayne some sort of a storage can...? I took this one a few days ago and now I notice it doesn't have in on there.

Better picture. That is a nice looking jeep!

Yes, that is exactly what 98% of all the bolt heads looked like.

Black%20CJ5.jpg

Saw this at the Bank. The owner was kind enough to talk and let me take a picture, its a 1978 with a SBC-350 and a TH350 with very beefy 33" tires. It's in nice shape, considering its age. The owner hasn't had it for very long and would like to return to a standard transmission, we talked about a T-18 , but with the SBC adaptors might be a problem. We might see him here in the future.

Last edited:
A 'juice' tranny in a '5' takes some work. :drool:
IMHO-Leave it alone. :notworthy:
Those 33" BFG's are what I run, and could not be happier with'em.
Was he carb'd or FI?
LG

Lumpy - That's what got us talking about the transmission. He mentioned the PO installed the TH350 and the length of his drive shaft was the very first thing I thought of. That's part of the reason he's thinking about going back to a manual. He didn't mention problems though, the jeep certainly sounded strong. The exhaust looked like a bit of a nightmare. Not poorly done, but outside the frame headers with the collector pipe right under the drivers seat, the pipe taking a hard dip and sweep up inside the frame to reemerge at the back corner where it should to avoid the inevitable exhaust issues.

Somedangbody drop'd a bucket of $$$ in that Jeep for sure.
Did you get to see the rear d'shaft?
LG

Hmm, the th350 is only 1.5" longer then a T-4 or T-5 when you factor in adjustments for the bellhousing.
The T-4 and T-5 came in some 80s CJ5
If your going to put an auto in a flat fender or CJ5 the th350 would be it.
Although I wouldn't have an auto in any flat fender or CJ5 I owned.

I have never seen a T-4 or T-5 in a '5'.:confused:
Work'd on more than a few..........:dunno:
LG

No matter really, it is a nice CJ5 with a SBC 350 and TH350.

When my son bought his '5', it had a 435 in it.
Seen many t-177/176 and 18's in '5s'.

LG

My current 79 CJ5 that I'm building into a 6 came with a swapped in T-5 /300 AND a 4" lift! It also had a 13" rear driveshaft.

Guess how I got it so cheap?

Had a oil starved blown rear diff :D

Was that T-5 , OEM to this '5'?
What R&P ratio?
LG

Love the boat, essentially what I had/have in mind for my CJ5 .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks