Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

It's a shorter stroke, rectangle port version of a AMC 401 V8. Both have forged steel crankshaft & rods. The Hurst AMX S/S and S/C Rambler both ran the 390 V8.:cool:

Yep - great engines but i have to give mine back now... :( The 390 started as a Gen II in 68 but in 70 they raised the deck, changed head bolts and went to dogleg ports - Gen III.

Damn, and I painted my Jeep parts outside :eek:
Well, see there's my problem! I was just painting the diff! :laugh:

I'm familiar with the 390 I thought he had found a new engine.
You should drop the motor I've always wanted in a jeep.
A Ford/Mercury 410ci that's 444 lb·ft at 2800 rpm of stump pulling torque.
(Insert Tim "The Toolman" Grunt here)

70' Buick 455 510lbft@2800 & it weighs less

The regular Buick 455 was rated at 350 hp while the 455 Stage 1 around 425 hp.
The regular 455 produced a rated 510 ft·lbf of torque at 2800 rpm, more than any other muscle car engine.
I dont have the torque spec's on the stage 1, but yeah it's a stump puller.
I picked the 410 as it's based on the 390 with a 428 crank and parts are plentiful,
plus that's what's going in my '56 ford, LOL.

Yeah, my high school American history teacher drove a yellow GSX Stage1 & she was smoking hot too. My little girls dream truck is '56 FORD F-100, So I'm on the lookout for one. Growing up my grandpa always had Ford truck with a flying Mobile horse on the doors. Those mid-fiftys fords were beautiful trucks.:chug:

Got the rear shock mounts welded on and put on the first of two coats of the chassis paint. Tomorrow, the 2nd coat... :)

attachment.php

It's starting to take shape...

Got the Dana 44 painted and mounted, the new axle bearings and seals installed and one of the rear disc setups mounted. Tomorrow, the other axle and the other brake!

Then - the front work begins!

Damn that looks GOOD! I hope ours goes as well as yours, my friend!

CJ, how is that qt. of rust encapsulator holding out? I am going to be using on my complete frame and axles, and dunno how much to buy. 2 qts sound right? 1 for the frame (inside and out) and 1 for the axles?

CJ, how is that qt. of rust encapsulator holding out? I am going to be using on my complete frame and axles, and dunno how much to buy. 2 qts sound right? 1 for the frame (inside and out) and 1 for the axles?
I'd say two to three quarts will do everything.

I bought two cans of aerosol and a quart of brush on. I have barely touched the quart I have.

I painted the rear diff with the brush on and the Transfer Case / front diff with aerosol. I'm about half way through the second can of spray on. The brush on has the consistency of molasses, it goes on thick - use those cheap foam throw away brushes.

The spray is just so much easier, but... I sand blasted the Transfer Case and the Dana 44 . They didn't need nearly as much paint as if your painting over :dung: and rust.

I mocked up the front end and tacked the shock mounts.

Then I pulled the front diff and finished welding the mounts, after everything cools I'll put on afresh coat of paint where I had to grind it off. :)

Wow, that looks so cool. A lot of hard work, but the results are completely satisfying. Thanks for keeping us up to date, it sure does look awesome.

really looks good...but those shocks area a distraction against that beautiful frame. You'll need to change them...:)

:laugh:

really looks good...but those shocks area a distraction against that beautiful frame. You'll need to change them...:)

LOL - Those are the old ones... New QA1 shocks are on the agenda... :)

The front diff is now done and painted...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom