Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread
There are no know problems when cross drilling an AMC crank, just make sure the leading and trailing edge of the oil hole is chamfered properly. As for a rebuild kit, I usually buy my engine parts from Summit.

AMC's have front to back top to bottom oiling system. You need to cross drill the crank on most engines to oil 360 degree's of rotation, but AMC's the trick setup you need a oil line through the valley to feed the rear main & rod bearings. Also a equalizer for the cam galley. If you plan running over 5000 rpm you should consider a higher capacity oil pan because they tend to suck the stocker dry at high rpm. Good Luck with it I've been running them for thirty plus years.View attachment 481

View attachment 482

View attachment 483

Just like a Ford 351 Cleveland engine. Suck the back end of the engine dry and kill itself unless you do a little redesign.

LOL - I figured that over the 30 or so years that I have owned this thing I have dumped much more into it then this... :)

It is the first vehicle I ever owned and I've kept it this long... I don't plan on doing this again!!! I saved up for several years with an agenda and I'm decided to JUST DO IT!!!

I am boycotting this thread until you post up some damn progress!!! I'm not gonna live forever you know! As a matter of fact, I bet you finished the build WEEKS ago and you're driving it around RIGHT NOW. But you're getting some sick delight by draaaaaaaging out one or two piks a week for us to see. NOT COOL!

I agree. I want to see pics of the body, the garage, everything. I'm your !!!!!!!! Give us pics or I start posting stories of the things that happened with that Jeep. By the way, you really need to post a pic of the green car that you used to drive. Give the fans a laugh. You know the one, Bobby and I killed the ice machine in it!:chug:

I am boycotting this thread until you post up some damn progress!!! I'm not gonna live forever you know! As a matter of fact, I bet you finished the build WEEKS ago and you're driving it around RIGHT NOW. But you're getting some sick delight by draaaaaaaging out one or two piks a week for us to see. NOT COOL!

I have been pretty busy this week and as such, I pretty much neglected the CJ... :( I did finally get the replacement shock mount in (for the one I screwed up) and I did finally clean the front hubs and spindles, now I need to paint them and throw in the new bearings and seals.

attachment.php

I agree. I want to see pics of the body, the garage, everything. I'm your !!!!!!!! Give us pics or I start posting stories of the things that happened with that Jeep. By the way, you really need to post a pic of the green car that you used to drive. Give the fans a laugh. You know the one, Bobby and I killed the ice machine in it!:chug:
DOn't have any pictures of the 'green limousine' that I can find... We did talk about it briefly here though... :) -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f50/your-vehicles-nicknames-434/

It's been a long time since I gave an update and I'm sorry for that... :(

I'm more sorry because I haven't made much progress. Work has been hell but I think I will have more time soon. That and it's already 1300 degrees outside! :mad:

I have worked on laying out fuel and brake lines as well as making sure I have as much of what I need here and I won't have to order or wait on it.

I'm sure you all are familiar with the old adage 'Measure Twice, Cut Once'... This is what happens when you don't measure and then weld. I put the shock mount to close to the spring perch (I can't slip the U-Bolt between the two) and now I'm in the process of cutting it off and putting on a new one. I can't use a torch as it will burn off all the nice chassis paint so my new best friend is a small grinder! During my mock-up I assembled one side (the side that fits) but not the other! :mad:

attachment.php

I did get the hubs cleaned up, painted and the new races put in though... :)

attachment.php

Oh yea!!! Worked on changing out the front drive axle(s) u-joints! Holy :dung:! I bet they have been in there since 1972! I know I have at least four hours into getting them out and I still don't have one removed! If they sold new axle assemblies for my year CJ I would be all over them right now!!!

Roger on the work is hell right now boss. Just keep taking inventory on what you need on site. When the time comes and you can dig in, at least you'll have everything you need to make things happen on a fast track! Hell....having been in your shoes with a rebuild, It's kind of good to have some slack time to be able to pull back and get a full perspective of the project anyway.

Thanks CW! Good to know I'm not the only one!

So, anyone know where replacement axles are for a 72 Dana 30 are? I could use some! :)

I broke a 30 year old, 100 LB. vise trying to get one out of the front after it blew during a race. Snapped the threaded shaft straight in 1/2. And I am sure I have seen new assemblies for sale maybe in 4wd hardware catalog? There is always chromoly upgrades as well...Who needs a budget, right!?

If you can find it I'll buy it! Right now I can only find a 77 and above! I have been looking! HELP! What happened in 77 - I'm gonna say... Wide trac! LOL ?

Well, I bought some new EVO Superior Axles for my Dana 30 . The EVO series are American made and the 'other' cheaper ones are from China... I decided that it was worth the extra $180 to keep my money in the States... Your mileage may vary... :)

Today I pressure washed my engine a few times as well as degreased it.

attachment.php

I'm going to paint the block black and all the accessories (timing cover, oil pan, heads and water pump) AMC Blue! I bought ceramic paint from Eastwood.

attachment.php

I'm hoping to paint later this week!

CJ
I have superior axles in mine, they have been good to me so far. I like the buy USA made idea as well.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom