Build Thread CJ's CJ5 - Rebuild Thread

Your not sparing any expense are you? :eek: :D
LOL - I figured that over the 30 or so years that I have owned this thing I have dumped much more into it then this... :)

It is the first vehicle I ever owned and I've kept it this long... I don't plan on doing this again!!! I saved up for several years with an agenda and I'm decided to JUST DO IT!!!

When I got the quote from them I was asked not to publish the prices. The tub is actually cheaper then a well known company that sells Jeep items and starts with 'Q'... :)

The other parts are almost exactly the same cost and some were cheaper... The best part is that they do the work fixing the body and such so I don't have to! And - since it's semi custom made - you can specify what you do and don't want.

For example, I'm putting on recessed LED tail lamps so I didn't have any holes put in the rear for normal lamps, I also had them put in the bracket for a 76 and up parking brake as the one for CJ's 72 - 75 are junk and rare. I also didn't have them punch in the wiring harness hole as I'm using an aftermarket harness. I also had them punch the holes for the heater.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/steel-aluminum-fiberglass-188/#post1803

Overall - I'm a happy - albeit poorer CJ owner. :)

Im mad at you
You need to go throught the same greif that I am with fixing my tub
You cant cheat

What happend to the saying built not bought:poke:

LOL - Oh... There is still work to be done. :) I have to cut the old Jeep emblems off of the sides of my old body and stitch them on to the new one. They only offered the new style Jeep embossing on the body and I just couldn't do that - I had to stick with the traditional lettering.

And I have to french in the rear LED tail lights. I also am most likely going to notch the fender wells so I can have some leg room...

I have PLENTY to do! :)

Well, the new tub was supposed to be here today but it's stuck in Valdosta... :( I'll be receiving it on Monday though. :)

Started to lay down the hard brake lines and decide on how I want to rout the new fuel lines... Hmm... So many ideas!

.......and decide on how I want to rout the new fuel lines...

To throw out an idea,whe I rebuilt my CJ I ran my fuel line in the frame using stainless braided line.

To throw out an idea,whe I rebuilt my CJ I ran my fuel line in the frame using stainless braided line.

Exactly where I was a few years ago, I had run all braided lines from the tank to the FI unit and it worked great. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do - hard lines or braided but either way -it's not going to be rubber hose...

Where did you get your braided lines (manufacturer)?

Thanks for the idea!

Where did you get your braided lines (manufacturer)?

Thanks for the idea!

Funny thing, this coil of braided hose followed me home from work one day and i thought to my self "hmmm, what can I do with this??" ;)

It was braided hydralic hose, it worked out great :D

I know your pain. I was supposed to pick up the Scrambler today. Got insurance on line and took the 1 1/2 hr. trip to pick it up. Seems when you get insurance online theres a 24 hr wait period. The policy was effective as of tomorrow so I couldnt get a plate TODAY!. :bang: I had my whole weekend planned around it. Picking it up after work on Monday now. :(
Well, the new tub was supposed to be here today but it's stuck in Valdosta... :( I'll be receiving it on Monday though. :)

Started to lay down the hard brake lines and decide on how I want to rout the new fuel lines... Hmm... So many ideas!

I'm still screwing around with brake lines and such, I'm still not sure how I want to do them.

I also cleaned the front hubs and spindles.

Little problem! Like a dambass I didn't have the left front u-bolts on when I welded the shock mount, it's too damn close to the ubolt. I either have to cut it off and reweld it or notch it. I just threw my hands up when I encountered this little obstacle today and decided to call it quits. I'll decide what I'm going to do tomorrow!

oops...Thats what I worry about when I start mine. Won't have all the stuff I need and I hate having to re-work stuff.

oops...Thats what I worry about when I start mine. Won't have all the stuff I need and I hate having to re-work stuff.
I wouldn't be as mad if I didn't have the part, I was just stupid and didn't have it fully mocked up! :(

Just finished unloading the tub and all the other misc body pieces. I'll take them home after work... And yes, I will strap it down before I leave! :)

body_on_trailer.jpg

View image in gallery

3 hours is plenty of time to uncrate that baby. Wheres our pics?? :rolleyes:
No uncrating yet... I have to make room and decide where I'm going to do the sheet metal work. I did get it unloaded from the trailer... A fork lift put it on and I took it off all by myself... :) Kinda proof that with the right equipment man can do just about anything! :laugh:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have rebuilt SB Chevy's in the past and I've read about cross drilling the crank on the AMC's to better oil the lower end. Any more unforeseen differences that I should be aware of?

I haven't torn down the 360 yet but does any one know of a good online site which I can purchase my rebuild or rekit from once I get to that point?

Thanks any help is much appreciated and if you any comments/suggestions/criticisms at all feel free to post.

Justin

1980 CJ5 rebuild in progress AMC 360 swap

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom