The Definitive HEI and MC2100 Thread

The Definitive HEI and MC2100 Thread
I just googled magnetic pickup and it does indeed look like one of those and maybe a billet is what I thought was a gear. While the connections look pretty clean, that whole area that houses the magnetic pickup, etc looks pretty old and worn. What does that mean? Are those in every distributor or do I have something different?

The ignition switch...the thing where the key goes??? I've ordered a multimeter but it hasn't arrived yet. The whole thing is frustrating.

The actual ignition switch is bolted to the top of the steering column behind the dash. Where the key goes is just the tumbler. When you turn the key,it pulls on a rod that reaches down the column to the switch. It's probably fine, but if I left the key on all night, and then it wouldn't fire up, the first thing I'd be checking is to see if it has power to the ignition.

It's not bad info, just badly relayed info. All who have posted in all the threads that we have had about this topic have been been correct in different aspects. They just didn't convey what they meant correctly.

I will add, there has been a lot of info missed in all the threads that run across this forum lately. As I stated, I will make a post (started it a little while ago) with my experiences. These experiences are not what I read or what I was told. These are what I personally have gone through.

I have used very high $ Mallory dual point, racing, billet, HEI and the cheap as hell Chinese HEI dizzys (not all my engines). The majority of the times there is no difference. I have use soft bronze, soft steel and hardened dizzy gears (that is a big story I will tell).

One thing that no one has talked about is upper bushing clearance, and even more important is upper shoulder to dizzy roll pin length. If the distance is not correct (within specs) and you reuse your old gear, you get two wear patterns on the gear (usually not a problem). If the shoulder to roll pin distance is not correct (long) it can cause oil pump shaft binding.

As I stated, don't assume that because it works or worked for you, others will never have a problem.

Again, I will write up my real world experiences and post them. Heck, I'll even get into how to make that hard dizzy gear work with your cam gear. Anyone up for a lesson on hardening and tempering? It's fairly easy to do... :) :chug:

I was only refering specifically to the claim that no HEI's have adjustable vacuum advances. There's no doubting that that was bad info. But it's water under the bridge now that several of us have personally had first hand experience adjusting them recently.

I'm really looking forward to your info on dizzy gears! :notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom