did the team rush

did the team rush
i have a msd thing you put in the coil tower and a coil wire to match it at work. i think i might go and get that. then i know the coil wire will stay on.

well the msd adaptor didnt work. im taking it back to work tomarrow and getting a blaster3. i have a coil wire for that one.

well the msd adaptor didnt work. im taking it back to work tomarrow and getting a blaster3. i have a coil wire for that one.
Working at a parts store has it advantages... :D - Sometimes a disadvantage too (money)!

Working at a parts store has it advantages... :D - Sometimes a disadvantage too (money)!

ya on both. the blaster 3 works perfect. now i need to change my module. the blaster 3 is already melting the stock 20 some year old one. lol

I picked up all the NAPA parts, but got the 6 cyl plug wires instead of the 8cyl, the whole setup was about $125.
Well worth it. Funny side note the 6 cyl plug wire set comes with an extra plug wire, 8 instead of 7 wires.
Parts for a 1982 Ford F-150 Pick Up Truck With A 300 CID I-6 Engine.

Rotor-FA159
Cap-FA136
Cap adapter-FA139
Ignition coil-IC24
I used the napa plug wires for the 6cyl, they are nice and fit the coil.

The site I followed to do the mod:
TFI ignition upgrade - Jeepz.com

this is a must up grade if no one has done it. also do the stealth hei.

I picked up all the NAPA parts, but got the 6 cyl plug wires instead of the 8cyl, the whole setup was about $125.
Well worth it. Funny side note the 6 cyl plug wire set comes with an extra plug wire, 8 instead of 7 wires.
Parts for a 1982 Ford F-150 Pick Up Truck With A 300 CID I-6 Engine.

Rotor-FA159
Cap-FA136
Cap adapter-FA139
Ignition coil-IC24
I used the napa plug wires for the 6cyl, they are nice and fit the coil.

The site I followed to do the mod:
TFI ignition upgrade - Jeepz.com

The extra wire most of the time is a coil wire. Most kits come with 2 coil wires because the fords had 2 style coils with different plugs on each coil. They had a canister(not desirable) and the e-coil(sqare,desirable).

The extra wire most of the time is a coil wire. Most kits come with 2 coil wires because the fords had 2 style coils with different plugs on each coil. They had a canister(not desirable) and the e-coil(sqare,desirable).
Yeah I know I just like making that joke, cause someone always gets the wires and is like WTH. BTW I have the e-coil.

here is a pic.

I think you are going to have a problem with that coil and cap combo. I have an easy fix for the problem, a resistive coil charge. You need to hold a screwdriver in the coil wire and touch your other hand to a ground. Have Mrs.DF crank it a few times.:D Once again, neighborhood kids are also good for holding the screwdriver. Gotta love the neighborhood kids.

I think you are going to have a problem with that coil and cap combo. I have an easy fix for the problem, a resistive coil charge. You need to hold a screwdriver in the coil wire and touch your other hand to a ground. Have Mrs.DF crank it a few times.:D Once again, neighborhood kids are also good for holding the screwdriver. Gotta love the neighborhood kids.

lol. you sure its not mrsdalefann88 is supose to hold the screwdriver.:D that might be to much work with my foot i need to rest.:D

This is a great mod. Really wakes up the 258. Couple it with a Mc2100 carb to replace the crappy carter bbd and you'll be estatic. Mine fires right up no matter the temp. I used to have to pump the gas like 50 times bfefore when it got cold.

I did the HEI / Stealth and I like my Dura Spark better and put it back in. I did order the Summit ignition system and will try that after I figure out a dry mounting place. I have heard great things about it.

i plane on going with the summit one but it is low on my list.

I have that box and I give it a thumbs up! Keep it dry, tho. I mounted mine up under the dash where the heater box used to be. :) Water gets up there, and I will have other things to worry about! :laugh:

You could encase it in a tupperware box as well, sealing the wire runs with silicone. just make sure you can access the rev limiter (if you have that option)

Actually, you should NOT seal the module up in anything.
Sealing it up will keep air from circulating around the module and cooling it, and that is a BAD THING.

I turn an old military ammo can up-side-down, mount the module it in with the lid off.
That creates an air bubble around the module when the water gets higher than the dash...
Which it has in my dedicated off roader!

Going back and filling all the connectors with Dielectric Grease will help keep water and corrosion out of your connections,

And using Dielectric Grease in the groove on the under side of the distributor cap before you install it will help make an air bubble inside your distributor cap to keep the distributor from drowning out.
------------------------------------------------------

As for the CDI module upgrade,
I recommend this module for it's price and ease of use.
Summit SUM-850602 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Multi-Spark Digital CD Ignitions

Since it uses exactly the same terminals as MSD, all the MSD adapters will work with it.

If you have a '78 to '86 CJ you are upgrading,
This is your starting point...

Summit SUM-850520 - Summit® Ford Duraspark Ignition Adapter Wiring Harnesses

The 'Bell Shaped' connector on the Right with 'Red' & 'White' wires coming out of it is what you plug into your harness, and you connect the CDI module 'Small Red' wire to it.
Unplug the factory module Two Wire connector, and plug this into the factory harness to 'Power Up' the module when you turn the ignition switch on.

From '78 to '86 CJs all used Jeep/Motorcraft distributors.
This gadget allows you to plug MSD or other CDI modules into the distributor,
MSD Ignition 8869 - MSD Wire Adapters

No wire cutting required, just plug this into the distributor, and the other end has MSD style connector already on it.

This is a 6 foot 'Extension Cord' for your distributor trigger wires to the CDI module of your choice.
MSD Ignition 8862 - MSD Replacement Cables

This allows me to move the CDI module up to 6 feet from the distributor,
Has the correct connectors at both ends, and is shielded from outside interference so you don't get a bunch of false triggers in your ignition.

The only other thing you should need is a coil connector.
These can be picked up locally or at the salvage yard.

This is the wiring diagram for 90% of you,
Note there are part numbers for adapters, coil connectors, ect. on the diagram.

MSD-79-86Jeep.gif

---------------------------------------

Something you might want to consider,
By taping over the stock coil connector,
The module two wire connector,
And the factory distributor connector,

BUT, Leaving all that in place in the engine bay,
You have a complete BACK UP IGNITION in place in case something happens to the CDI module!

All you do is UNTAPE the module connector and plug it in,
Untape the coil connector and plug it in,
Untape the distributor connector and plug it in,
And you are up and running on the FACTORY IGNITION again!

Trail Redundancy is a WONDERFUL THING when you are 40 miles from the nearest parts store,
Or the ignition takes a :dung: 10 minutes after the parts stores close...

Or worse yet,
The ignition quits when you are the FARTHEST from the parking area or nearest road, and it's a LONG WALK out!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks